Monday, March 4, 2013

(Not) The Whole Picture

So I've been thinking lately about cliches and misinterpretations.  Since I began exploring my faith and realigning my life to Jesus, I've had an issue with these two things, and I can't figure out why or what to do about it.

Take the book of Jeremiah, for instance.  It may have the most used verse (with the exception of John 3:16) in the Bible.  Verse 11 states: "For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."

What a great message, right?  What a wonderful sentiment.  At God's heart, He cares for us and is always watching over us.  All of that is true, and (although completely overused) it's a wonderful verse.

But I really take issue with it.  Why?  Because it doesn't tell the whole story.  It doesn't say that God is speaking to His people, who are about to go into exile in Babylon for 70 years.  It doesn't say that the people to whom He spoke this promise?  Most of them will never see their homeland again.  They may be separated from their families.  God basically says build houses, set up farms, because you're going to be here a good long while.  It doesn't say all that; just the good parts.  It doesn't mention the patience required while God's plans are in motion, while they wait for the hope and future to arrive.  And while God did have the plans that He said He did and did fulfill them, I can't help but feel like I am cheating someone if I make reference to that verse without sharing the whole story.

The same thing happened to me yesterday.  I was watching the new series "The Bible" on the History channel, and they  had commercials for christianmingle.com.  On this commercial, they used part of a Jars of Clay song; the lyrics went like this: "I want to fall in love with you, I want to fall in love with you."  A pretty appropriate song for a dating site, right?  Well this song is actually entitled "Love Song for a Savior."  It's about falling in love with Jesus.  But the commercial made no mention of this.

I was talking with Jen about this today, and she brought up a good point.  She said that maybe they used just that part for the lyrics (out of context), but people may look up the song and then they will see the true meaning of the song.  It's a means to an end to expose people to Christian music and, by extension, the Christian faith.

I can get that.  But I'm wondering if it's my spiritual immaturity that causes me to dwell on issues like this.  Don't those to whom we are reaching out deserve to know the whole truth?  Isn't that part of the problem: that people believe that once you're Christian, life should be easy?  Doesn't it make sense to share all of our faith and not just the parts that we think will draw people in?  Or is it possibly an extension of my own insecurities - that I believe that God's promises may not apply to me, and that's why I resist them?  

I can't decide.  I don't know why I take such issue with the examples mentioned above.  It does me no good to complain about these things and how overused certain Bible verses are in the grand scheme of things, but I also don't want to encourage those new to the Christian faith to not pursue the whole story.  To understand all the pieces.  To look at the larger picture.  Is that where I should draw the line?  Or should I, like society seems to be doing, use these cliche examples to draw people in, to entice them, to stoke their curiosity so they can see how fulfilling life can be?  Are these things just vehicles for us to use to bring more people to Jesus, to share our faith?  Does it come down to how comfortable we are using certain tools that God provides to us?

What do you think?  Do you disapprove of diluting God's intended message or a song's intent in order to entice those who do not yet believe?  Or do you think it's a great tool and then the "rest" can be explained later?  I'd love to hear your opinions!

No comments:

Post a Comment