Saturday, April 20, 2013

Purpose & Plans

I graduated from college in 2009 with a Bachelors of Arts in Creative Writing (though the degree simply says Bachelor of Arts).  I currently work at an investment advisory firm.  I don't know why those two sentences together bother me.

When I was in high school and looking at colleges, I was told, "Major in what you love."  For the most part, I still think that's good advice, even if it's incomplete.  I job-shadowed a middle-school teacher, and knew that wasn't for me.  I'm not good at math or science.  I'm good at English, and I like writing/reading/editing.  It seemed to make sense.  But I think that another piece of advice that would have been nice to hear is, "But you may have to make major sacrifices to use it."

I understand that no one could have known in 2004 what the job market would look like in 2009.  I understand I didn't make all of the necessary sacrifices to have a good chance to use my degree (i.e. relocating to a bigger city like Chicago or NY).   I even understand that it doesn't necessarily matter what your major is for a lot of jobs, as long as you have a college degree.  I think what I am questioning is a little more personal.

I believe I'm exactly where God wants me to be.  I think he has me at my current job because there are people I can influence and love I can show to those I am surrounded by.  But I feel like my season is ending.  I feel like I'm at the point of thinking about moving on.  And my degree, much to my surprise, is a little bit of a stumbling block.

English degrees are very versatile.  Many employers will hire English degree-holders. My problem is it gives me too many options.  So I know I don't want to be in finance; what do I want to do?

I know I want to help people.  I want to help people more directly than I am now.  And I'm thinking I want to help people through their issues, and teach them how to cope with whatever they're going through.  I've decided to take a summer class at Delta - general psychology.  I think I'd like to be a counselor in some capacity.  I'm not sure what that will look like, but I feel God leading me down that path.

I'm kind of excited for it.  I took general psych my freshman year of college, but it's been 9 years now, and I most likely need a refresher course.  Plus it's an online class, which will most likely be what the curriculum will be if I do decide to pursue my master's.  I think this may be the next step for me.

I know I should keep my options open, and you definitely never know what door God might open for you next.  But I think He may be opening this one for me.  And I'm praying I have the courage to pursue it.  

I've found that trying to make money out of a hobby or something you love can diminish how much you love what you are doing.  I tried to make a business out of quilting and making homemade crafts, and it didn't work.  I thought that's where God was leading me, but it was a bit of a failure.  Maybe He wanted me to try and fail, to realize that you have your hobbies, then you have what you do for a living, and those two things shouldn't necessarily mix.  And I think I'm okay with that, but I also think I'm ready to follow this next path.  And I'm hoping this one is more successful.  :)

Maybe this next step will help me to use my current degree more directly.  God's giving me little snippets of thoughts that are leaning that way.   I never had a clear vision of what I was going to do with my life - first I was determined to be a writer, then an editor and publisher.  I had a few months where I thought I'd be an overseas missionary.  I thought I might not have a career if I became a mom.  I ended up in investment advising with no background in finance.

My twenties were a little bit adrift; maybe by thirty, I'll figure it out, with God's help.

No comments:

Post a Comment