Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Sunday Morning Debate

In case you didn't know this about me, I didn't grow up Christian.  Religious affiliations weren't really mentioned.  We had a children's Bible, and my grandparents were Catholic and I knew my parents were both raised Catholic, but we didn't go to church.

In 2006, I was baptized.  Since then, my Sunday morning routine has changed dramatically.  When I was in high school, I worked on Sunday mornings.  In college, I slept in.  Now, I go to church.

And I've noticed that something happens every morning.  I have a debate with myself.  My alarm goes off about 20 minutes before I have to get up (two snooze cycles).  In that time, I go through the same debate.  Every.  Single.  Week.  "Should I go to church today?"  "Sleep sounds soooo nice right now."  "I normally only get one day to sleep in, another would be nice."  "Would I really be missing anything?"

Thankfully, Greg was raised Lutheran and they went to church.  Every week, without fail.  So for him, it's not even a question; it's just what you do.  You go to church on Sundays.  So it's nice that I know he'll want to go, so I have to get up.  But I find it interesting that this debate happens to me all the time.

And you know what happens when I go to church?  I'm changed.  Now, I don't want you to think I have a life-altering revelation every week, because I don't.  And I don't want you to think that my church is without its issues and problems, because it's not.  But I will tell you that something normally happens that makes me glad I went.  It might be the music, which is a HUGE part of my worship (there was a guest band playing this week and they played a song I LOVE), it might be the message, or perhaps a stirring video, or even communion and prayer.  But whatever it is on each particular week, I'm glad I went.

This makes me believe that forces are working against me - telling me that not going to church is better than going.  Because if I don't go, I won't grow stronger with God.  My relationship won't solidify as much; my faith won't be as grounded.  And that, my friends, is the devil's ideal playground - a doubting soul.  A worried heart.  A troubled mind.  Anywhere he can niggle a little doubt, the better.  But church can help settle the soul, calm the heart, reassure the mind.  It allows us to know our place, our identity, and who is ultimately in control.  It allows us to reaffirm our commitment to our faith and to the works God has called us to do.  It reminds us of his great love, and how we're never alone.

All of those things I would miss out on for a few hours of sleep (which, as I mentioned before, I can get on Saturday).  PLUS, as an extra bonus, since I'm already awake and up, I get so much more done on Sundays.  It's a double-win.

Does anyone else go through this debate like I do?  If so, have you been a lifetime church-goer, or is your faith new?  Are you in Greg's boat where it's just something that you do, or do you struggle?

Be assured, friends.  God loves you and wants to know you.  Do you want to know Him?

PS - if you do, and don't know where to start, let me know.  The joy you'll find is the best thing I've ever known.  :)


No comments:

Post a Comment