Wednesday, July 29, 2015

She Speaks 2015 Conference

By now most of you know that I attended the She Speaks conference in Concord, North Carolina this past Friday and Saturday (July 24th and 25th).  I thought I'd give you a little rundown of the conference, plus it inspired me to write more, so this is my first attempt.  :)

I drove down to NC on Thursday.  For those of you who are wondering, it's about a 12 hour drive with stops.  (The rush hour traffic I hit in NC didn't help either.)  Once you got to the Appalachian mountains, though, it was a very pretty drive.  I checked into my hotel and got Chick-Fil-A for dinner, since we don't have those in mid-Michigan and they're pretty fantastic.  Yum!

Friday I was so nervous it was ridiculous.  I can't remember the last time I went to a conference by myself, and I knew no one.  Not one single other person.  The pep talk I gave myself was not nearly sufficient, but passable.  My room was on the sixth floor, and I took the elevator to the first, only to think I forgot my phone.  Back up to the sixth floor I went, when I realized I did have my phone (see what I mean?  Nerves.).  So back down to the first, when the elevator stops on the 4th floor, and I meet Courtney, also going to the conference.  Hallelujah and thank you God for sending me a friendly face!  Down at breakfast we met another woman, Michelle, who was going to the conference, and I was feeling a little better.

The conference itself was at the Embassy Suites, and they had all sorts of booths set up for vendors, authors, and publishers that attended.  Each morning and evening in the main sessions with everyone we had worship, and they had an incredible worship band.  That also helped to calm me down a little.  There were 800 women in attendance at this conference, and apparently 700 on the waiting list.  Kind of a big deal!  Lysa TerKeurst, an incredible author and one of the leaders at Proverbs 31 ministries, gave the opening message.  Then we went to different breakout sessions.  My publisher appointment was at 11:45am with an editorial director, and oh boy, the nerves came back!  Thankfully they had the sweetest Southern lady checking people in and out, and we chatted for a while waiting for the editor.  God is so good.



I spoke with the editor, who was super nice and seemed interested in my work - yay!  Since I literally just finished my manuscript and they aren't accepting fiction right now, she told me to take a few weeks to edit my work before I sent her the proposal.  Honestly, I was really happy with that because a) my proposal won't get lost in the tons of proposals she will receive from the conference and b) I could use some time to edit it and make sure it's right!  I felt good coming out of the meeting, and felt really good getting my first "real" meeting with a publisher accomplished.

In the afternoon I met with a self-publishing company and learned all about what they have to offer and how the process works for self-publishing.  It's fairly involved, and almost two thirds of books now are self-published.  It was good to understand the process and learn what goes into it for sure.

The first day didn't end till about 10pm!  The second day was great as well, with a session from Lysa TerKeurst herself on how to write a book - very informative!  It surprised me that at least 90% of the writers at the conference (because there were speakers as well) were non-fiction writers (devotionals, Christian living, memoir, etc.).  I was a little unique in my fiction writing, which I was not expecting!

I was so glad to be a part of this conference.  I learned so much, got to speak with authors with experience, learn more about the publishing and agenting and editing world, and worship with some great ladies.  I met a lot of wonderful people there and am excited (even more) to continue with my writing aspirations.  I'm seriously considering going back next year and learning even more.

I'm still a long way off from a book deal, but it was so awesome to take this first step and to gain more confidence in my writing.  I believe I'm following God's path for my life, and I am trying to follow the steps He places in front of me, this conference being one of them.  I think as long as I rely on Him and His timing, I'll be able to complete the work He's prepared in advance for me to do, which is so exciting!

Prayers for my journey are very appreciated!  :)


No comments:

Post a Comment